Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 12:28:55 +1000 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
To:        green@unixhelp.org (Brian Fundakowski Feldman)
Cc:        npp@distortion.dk, ru@ucb.crimea.ua, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: firewalling (Was Re: Introduction)

In some email I received from Brian Fundakowski Feldman, sie wrote:
> How do you feel about (after getting it fixed in -CURRENT) helping with
> converting ipfw(8) to just a front-end to ipf? I think it's worth discussing
> whether it's actually worth it to rewrite IPFW or just work on improving
> ipfilter. (discussion moved to -hackers)

I imagine they might be fighting words to some ;)  As I see it, if you
added hooks for divert to ipfilter in FreeBSD and maybe added the rule
number bits (I *know* there are going to be people who'd just die without
it) then I can't see why you'd need ipfw.  I imagine that would be a hell
of a lot less work than bringing the features of ipfilter into ipfw.

It'd also be one of those steps forward in compatibility between the various
BSDs...

Darren