Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 18:05:50 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need help  with sendmail after upgrade to 4.6 stable

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 08:05:47AM -0400, Jim Freeze wrote:

> sendmail seems to be working fine. However, doing
>   /etc/mail -> make restart
> Restarting: sendmail sendmail-clientmqueuekill: 1626: No such process

Make sure that /var/spool/clientmqueue/sm-client.pid is owned by the
smmsp UID.  It's probably best to kill off your sendmail clientmqueue
daemon, and then remove the pid file so that sendmail can recreate it
on the next restart.  It's quite possible that the file that's there
has the wrong PID in it, so do something like this:

   ps -auxww | grep 'Queue runner' | awk '{ print $2; }' | xargs kill
   rm /var/spool/clientmqueue/sm-client.pid
   make -f /etc/mail/Makefile start-mspq

> still gives me no such process. I can run
>   /etc/rc.sendmail restart-mspq
>
> to get it going, whereupon 'make restart' works, but the clientmqueue
> doesn't seem to stay running for long.
> I read somewhere about some queue running every 30 minutes
> to empty the mail queue. Is this what is going on?

If the sm-client.pid file has the wrong stuff in it, and the
clientmqueue process can't rewrite it, then it's quite likely that
you'll see effects something like you've observed.  Doing the above
should fix the problem, but if it doesn't you need to find out what is
causing it to fall over.  Sendmail is usually quite good at logging
reasons for giving up the ghost.  What does /var/log/maillog have to
say?

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK