Date:      Sun, 11 Jul 1999 16:52:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, imp@village.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: a BSD identd

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999, Doug wrote:

> 3. Having a built in version of a "real" ident run out of inetd would be
> *very* welcome by the people that need it. pidentd is a bloated, buggy pig.

Thank you. That's why I wrote it.

> 4. I agree with Sheldon that returning "real" responses by default would be
> a bad thing. The current ability to send fake responses is a good thing,
> but having the option to do real ident would also be good.
>
> 	Finally, Brian might want to search the bugtraq archives before he commits
> anything. There have been quite a few identd related discussions, and it
> would be points in our favor if we didn't come out with anything that had
> known exploits.

How in the world could my inetd ident service be exploited? I just fixed
the only problematic feature, fake id, to make it not read anything but a
regular file and not let you try to use  someone else's name. I can't see
any way that any part of it could be exploited...

> HTH,
>
> Doug

 Brian Fundakowski Feldman      _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@FreeBSD.org                   _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!        _ __ | _ \._ \ |) |
       http://www.FreeBSD.org/              _ |___/___/___/