Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 00:07:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!atrad.adelaide.edu.au!msmith
Cc:        ponds!csv.warwick.ac.uk!csubl, ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers, ponds!ravenock.cybercity.dk!sos
Subject:   Re: What happened to the splash screen?

Mike Smith writes:

> Thomas David Rivers stands accused of saying:
> > >
> > > There was also a problem with VGA font corruption; did that get fixed
> > > Soren?  The last difficulty is that during device probes, interrupts are
> > > turned off so you can't hotkey between the splash and the probe display.
> >
> >  I'm just curious; if this were to get "put in" - would it do
> > something meaningful on monochrome (i.e. Hercules compatible) displays?
>
> What's "meaningful"?

 Very good question; actually...  Terry, you wanna field that one? :-) :-)

>                       With a single VGA bitmap in the kernel, the
> bloat for the splash screen runs to about 70K.  Short of having a seperate
> monochrome image, or a F/S dither, it'll just ignore the splash and probe
> as normal.

 Seems fine to me...  I just wanted to make sure we didn't loose
support for the monochrome, or serial consoles just to get some color
up there - but that's covered.  I wouldn't bother with a separate
image, or dithering the other one down to black-and-white.  Usually when
you have one of these it's because your not too interested in such issues.

> > 	- Dave R. -
>
> --
> ]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au             [[

	- Dave R. -