Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 18:14:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      chuckr@glue.umd.edu
To:        vince@venus.GAIANET.NET
Cc:        tinguely@plains.NoDak.edu, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: did Gravis exit the soundcard business?

On 17 Nov, Vincent Poy wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Mark Tinguely wrote:
>
> Hi Mark and everyone,
>
>> I noticed that Computability dropped the Advance Gravis Pnp (Pro) from
>> their December Computer Shopper ad. I went to www.gravis.com and
>> most of the listed "online" suppliers do not list the sound card (they sell
>> Gravis joysticks, etc).
>>
>> I noticed that in the Gravis product list, they only list their game
>> peripherials, but not their sound card. The only reference to the GUS PnP was
>> an entry for dowloading the device driver.
>>
>> Is Gravis getting out of the soundcard business?
>>
>> I feel like asking the common Simpson question, "Dr. Monroe, in your
>> expert opinion, is it time to panic yet?".
>
> 	Gravis was bought out by ACCO about 3-4 months ago.  They
> discontinued all soundcards.  Utopia will be providing further support for
> the cards.

Huh.  That's unpleasant news.  I haven't paid much attention to the
market, because I HAD a GUS, but I need another one fairly soon now.
If I want one that had good full duplex send/receive like the GUS, and
at least SOME FreeBSD support, what's a good alternative, anyone know?

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |