Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 06:59:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      john@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU (John Morgan Salomon)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3c509B causes freezes on boot/install

Hi,

I am having troubls on both a Compaq ProLiant 2500 (with Mark
Dawson's custom boot floppy for 2.2.7 with SmartII raid5 support, worked
fine on another ProLiant) and on an HP Netserver 5/133 LS.  The
trouble is that I'm using an isa 3Com 509b network card (which works
fine in the running ProLiant running 2.2.7 and in some other FreeBSD
machines, including HP Deskpros).  I am trying to do an ftp install.

When I boot the machine with the boot/install floppies, I detect
ep0 as a 3C509B/UTP on both machines.  Normally, when I get to the part
where you configure your network card in the custom install menu, my
machines just freeze up.  Bang.  Dead.  No rescue.  Likewise, from the
emergency shell, ifconfig will freeze the machine.  I read in TROUBLE.TXT in
the 3.1-RELEASE/ directory that on HP Netservers, you have to drop to
the CLI hardware config and tell it 'eisa 12', I do that.  However,
when I tried that on the HP, the network card configured without crashing
but when it got to the actual ftp part, it freezese up the machine.
Subsequent attempts at doing the sam e give me equal results.

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks,

-John