Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 00:22:57 -0400
From:      "James C. Durham" <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   SSH2 Won't forward priviledged ports

Please see my previous posting regarding problems
with forwarding ports using ssh2.

I am trying to forward ports from a machine outside
my firewall to a machine inside the firewall using
ssh2.

I found that I *can* forward non-priviledged ports
just fine.

According to the documentation, root can forward
priviledged ports. I still can not do this, even
though I log in as root.

I can forward ports > 1024, but not < 1024.

Somehow, even though I'm being authenticated as root
for login purposes, I'm not being authenticated for port
forwarding. I've made keys for both the client and
server machines for root.

Anyone have any ideas where to look for this authentication
problem? I particularly want to forward port 80, so
this is a real hangup!
--
Jim Durham