Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:01:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Christopher Palmer <cpalmer@jig.ordway.org>
To:        Adam Dace <awd@kiwi.pyro.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Supported Socket 7 Motherboard UDMA Chipsets ?

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Adam Dace wrote:

[snip SCSI preferred over UDMA/IDE]

> And about -twice- the cost.  Unfortunately I'm financing this server
> out-of-pocket and as such I think $180 for 10GB of disk is a steal!

On a server of any consequence, I don't think it's going to be worth it to
skimp on storage. Skimp on CPU, even skimp on RAM (to a certain point),
but do not skimp on storage.

You can get a serviceable RAID-capable SCSI host adaptor for ~$100-150,
and SCSI disks are not much more expensive than their IDE counterparts
anymore, but they're still far more reliable and fast. Poke around and
compare prices on Pricewatch, you'll see what I mean.

If you think SCSI is expensive, consider how expensive down time and slow
service is.

Christopher Palmer
Assistant Systems Administrator, Ordway Music Theatre
cpalmer@jig.ordway.org