Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 15:48:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        bruce@aiiad.com (Bruce Goldberg)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bridging

> I'm looking for a software bridge for netbeui and I don't know where to
> turn; can you help?

There is a program called TAP or TCP Access Program, which is part of
the AT&T StarLAN product.

Note that NetBEUI is 100% non-routable, so you might need a serious
amount of work to do the bridge.

It doesn't help that most UNIX boxes are Ethernet_II and NetBEUI
requires an 802.2 LLC.

If you had a dual stack machine, you would probably do well to
use the Samba sources as a start.

> Do you know if bsd, or any unix for that matter, can bridge, or where I
> can go for help?

You can bridge, one mount at a time, by breaking Windows95
configurations using hardware bait-and-switch.  This is a *very*
bad thing to do.

> I'm interested in currently working, already ported packages.

Breaking a dual stack Win95 box may be your best bet.  You will
need a secondary disk controller and a drive you can partition up
and format and later remove.

You need to:

1)	Install the new controller
2)	Fdisk to add partitions
3)	Reboot to make the drives show up (Win95 is stupid)
4)	Export all of the new drives as permanent exports
5)	Shutdown
6)	Remove the temporary hard drive and controller
7)	Import drives from the server you wish to bridge; as
	they are assigned previous hardware device drive ID's,
	they will be magically exported as well.

8)	Not responsible for lost or corrupt data; not all calls
	go through IFSMgr to get to the client FSD code.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.