Date:      Sat, 17 Aug 1996 05:56:40 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: File System on a tape

Terry Lambert writes:

>> How about other absurd computer folk tales?  (I'm
>> looking for things like convincing a user that /dev/null has just
>> jumped the spindle, not whales exploding or mouse ball documents.)
>
> I convinced a user that in order to print a file, you have to type
>
> 	lpr filename <control>-J
>
> when he asked me one too many questions that were in his class
> handout sitting on the desk next to him.

Many years ago, when Tandem's systems engineers were even more naive
than they are now, our Tandem support person came along with his
portable TI 700 terminal (remember them?  They had a 300 bps acoustic
coupled modem on the back, and printed on fax paper).  He dialled in
to his system in Duesseldorf, and after looking around a bit I told
him that his system was insecure and that I could find the root
password (simple: it was in clear text in the password file).  He
didn't believe I could do it, so I did.  It was <control>-A.  I told
him so, and he said, "no, that's wrong".  So I logged in as root, and
he said, "That's funny, I was told it was <control>-A <control>-M, and
that works".

> I also told another user who was trying to share assignment code
> with a friend that his home directory was named "~/".
>
> 	ls ~/

Obviously he never tried to log in as the friend.

Greg