Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 2008 09:21:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Geoffrey <geoffrey@reptiles.org>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org, Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: sane configuration in Freebsd 7

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 06:59:04AM -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
>>> I'm not sure to understand you.  What do you mean by "sane-find-scanner
>>> won't find a scanner if uscanner is in the kernel" ?
>>>
>> 	Sorry.  I need to be more specific.  "sane-find-scanner" will
>> not find a usb scanner if:
>>
>> BURP:#device            uscanner        # Scanners
>>
>> 	is not remarked out in your kernel config file OR if you load
>> the kld uscanner.
>>
>> Sane uses usblib and usblib can't find the scanner
>> if uscanner is loaded.
>> 	Yes, you have to build and install a new kernel to do this as
>> uscanner is in the generic kernel:
>> 	GENERIC:device          uscanner        # Scanners

>> 	Ah.  This is true.  However uscanner is a local modification.
>> As far as I can determine linux used a different kernel device for
>> scanners (though I may be wrong).  Regardless, with the uscanner
>> references omitted the man page is correct in stating the scanner kernel
>> device interferes with usblib discovery of the scanner.  Usblib uses
>> ugen.  Uscanner just gets in the way.
>
> I think what Geoffrey is trying to say is the following:
>
> When the uscanner driver (either built into the kernel, or loaded as
> kernel module) is used, it causes sane-find-scanner (usblib) to
> fail detection of a scanner.  Meaning, uscanner is getting in the
> way of the detection.
>
> This is a problem because "device uscanner" is enabled by default
> in the GENERIC kernel, which means sane-find-scanner will fail unless
> you rebuild your kernel with uscanner disabled/removed.

 	YES!  Absolutely.

 	Which is quite different from what the sane-find-scanner man
page and the relevant handbook page say.  I believe there may be other
misplaced uscanner references in the man pages but did not find them.
 	In fairness sane did use uscanner at one time and it may be
possible to still use uscanner with sane but the man pages do not cover
this and the handbook does not successfully explain how.

 	Cheers!
--
first step to autoholic recovery: realising the 3000 lb gorilla on your back
 			  does not become you.