Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 12:50:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
To:        Jimbo Bahooli <moke@fools.ecp.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipnat + natd

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Jimbo Bahooli wrote:

> I have tried both ipnat (ipfilter) and natd (from www.srv.net/~cmott) for
> ip aliasing purposes. Both have worked somewhat to a degree.  However,
> both went extremely slowly, 20bytes/sec was about averaged for any host
> behind me.  Also tcpdump would spit out ip reassembly time exceeded
> messages. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. The connect
> to the internet is 28.8 ppp, and ethernet for the aliased hosts. The
> kernel is 2.2-STABLE and the newest ipfilter and natd are being used.

This is strange.  I'm running the same aliasing code as natd (using
user-land PPP) and get about 3KB/s from aliased hosts.  What kind of CPU
power have you got?  (I'm aliasing about 20 hosts on a Pentium 150, which
is also running as a file/printer/CPU-server, without any noticable load)

Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
http://maybe.yes.no/perhaps/