Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 2003 05:38:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Amatus <c11h15no2@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: National SemiConductor NIC

i had a similar problem with a friend's hp laptop. i installed 5.1 and
had a little trouble getting the mouse to work. i don't remember what
configuration made the mouse work, but i do remember exactly what
happened with sis0: when the machine was started sis0 was initally in
"media hw-loopback" mode, to get it working on the 10Mbit network i was
attached to i had to type "ifconfig sis0 media 10baset/utp". i don't
know about 100Mbit networks; maybe you have to specifically set the
media type for that too, or maybe the auto-select works on 100Mbit but
not 10Mbit. it's worth a shot if you haven't already tried it.

--- Sam Sen <techlists@kubicle.com> wrote:
> check this out and it does make sense.
>
> http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15646
>
> when i do "ifconfig -a" it doesnt even mention "full or half duplex"
> it says "auto-select" or i think it even mentioned "hw-loopback"
>
> my other freebsd boxes state if the NIC is negotiating at half or
> full and
> the speed of the network.

=====
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use of the information contained within this email or attachments is strictly prohibited.