Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:52:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Ben Rosengart <ben@skunk.org>
Cc:        Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>, Doug <Doug@gorean.org>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: sigset_t changes committed

<<On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 19:06:24 -0400 (EDT), Ben Rosengart <ben@skunk.org> said:

> If I understand correctly, it only needs to be done once per system, but
> it makes no difference whether it happens on a given system now or six
> months from now.

Surely.  The thing we have to be careful about is making sure that the
kernel does not grow new dependencies on software that now can't get
built ahead of time.  I tripped over one of these when I last upgraded
my desktop: the kernel contained some __asm statements which were only
valid in EGCS.  This is a hard problem in general, but sometimes we
just need to say ``screw it!'' and do what's necessary to advance the
state of the art.

-GAWollman