Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 1998 19:05:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Marco A. Barbosa S." <mbarbosa@fciencias.ens.uabc.mx>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   nis/nfs problem try 2

	ooops

	I think someone is going to be mad at me... anyway...

	hypothetical situation...

	2 2.2.5 RELEASE FreeBSD boxes

	1.- Fciencias nis/nfs client
	2.- Xcalibur  nis/nfs server

	problem:

	network segment on LAN (novell netware,ethernet,thin coax )
	is ok, but Xcalibur gets stuck. If someone is logged in
	Fciencias, they still have net access to everywhere,
	but Xcalibur gets isolated. Any user in Fciencias, loses
	files and noone else can login due to nis/dns failure.

	After a few minutes, things get back to normal, but its
	pretty annoying to not be able to log into Fciencias,
	cuz its the main mail server and web server and other
	stuff. hmmm we (I personally) suspected Xcalibur's
	NIC (Network Interface Card) but... then I was enlightened
	somehow and in one of those "crashes" I went to the
	Xcalibur console and thought about restarting the nfsd's
	but.. I decided to just warm-jump-start them with a
	killall -hup... and miracoulously things got online
	again...

	Ideas? comments? help?

	need config files? system specs? anything?

	thanks..