Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 12:10:45 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        Thierry.Besancon@lps.ens.fr, luoqi@watermarkgroup.com, Thierry.Besancon@tournesol.lps.ens.fr, dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, Pierre.David@prism.uvsq.fr, alc@cs.rice.edu, jt@ratp.fr
Subject:   Re: lockmgr() panic

Matthew Dillon wrote...

> :>> This is a completely different problem.
> :
> :Life sucks today.
> :
> :Reading src/sys/kern/kern_lock.c, I saw this piece of code that might
> :be relevant with this problem :
> :
> :#if !defined(MAX_PERF)
> :                        if ((extflags & LK_CANRECURSE) == 0)
> :                                panic("lockmgr: locking against myself");
> :#endif
> :
> :Before defining the flag, does anybody know what MAX_PERF implies
> :other than not panicing the kernel ? What does it means ?
>
>     MAX_PERF means 'maximum performance'.  Note that the conditional
>     is an '#if !defined ...' conditional, not an '#if defined ...'
>     conditional.
>
>     This means that by default, when MAX_PERF is *not* defined, the above
>     code *will* be executed.
>
>     If MAX_PERF is defined, the system removes many sanity checks from the
>     kernel that would otherwise be compiled in.  I would recommend that you
>     *NOT* define it.
>
> 						-Matt

I'll second this.  One of the few times I've really seriously hosed my
filesystem came one time a couple of years ago (Summer '97) when I defined
MAX_PERF.

Even during the early CAM development, I never managed to hose my
filesystem, but defining MAX_PERF was a really bad idea.

I think that's one of those "John-Dyson-only" options.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com