Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 20:15:42 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problems creating 4.4-alpha test/release cdrom

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 01:17:18AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > > Can you do 'load /kernel' (Note the /) and then boot?
> >
> > k load kernel
> > don't know how to load module '/kernel.ko'
> > ok load /kernel
> > don't know how to load module '/kernel.ko'
> >
> > > If so, does 'boot /kernel' work as well?
> >
> > ok boot /kernel
> > don't know how to load module '/kernel.ko'
>
> You are running the evil boot loader.

I'm not running anything evil: I've done a plain
make release on RELENG_4.

The resultant cdrom/disc1 tree should be suitable
for mkisofs-ing.  If not, make release is broken.

> Your kernel needs to be installed as /boot/kernel/kernel.ko,
> I think.
>
> I really hate that boot loader change.
>
> If your kernel is really in /, try "/KERNEL" instead.

That won't work either, and the CD should be bootable without
tweaking anyway.

> I also think you might want to add rock-ridge to the
> ISOFS image.  I think the problem you are seeing is due

/usr/share/examples/worm/makecdfs.sh does include the option
to create RR. Testament to that is the fact that the same
CD is has lowercase & long filenames when mounted on a
FreeBSD box.

> to the Alpha boot not doing the same thing that the x86
> boot does (fake up a RAM-disk floppy image, from which
> the /kernel in the image is loaded, and the resulting
> system then understands rock-ridge).  I don't think that
> anything short of doing this is going to get you booted
> very easily... though an obvious quick hack would be to
> case fold everything to upper case, which would be enough
> to get your kernel loaded.
>
> -- Terry
---end of quoted text---