Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 09:39:50 -0500
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        peb@amleth.demon.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA card Ethernet.

"Paul E. Bennett" wrote:

> In rc.conf I have the pccard_enable ="YES" but I am not seeing any
> activity from the Ethernet and Combo-card I am trying to use for
> my connectivity.

Well, when you say you aren't seeing any activity, do you mean that the
kernel doesn't do *anything* when you insert the card?

Because even *without* pccard_enable="YES", you should still get a
message on the console saying that you insterted/removed the card from
slot 0/1 (log in as root at the console level to be 100% sure you'll see
these).  If you aren't even getting _that_, then the pccard_enable and
the /etc/pccard.conf and /etc/defaults/pccard.conf files don't do any
good.

*If* that's the case, you are probably missing the pccard controller in
your kernel.  Is this stuff in your kernel config?  (Should be there by
default, so it's odd if it's not):

# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
device		card
device		pcic0	at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000
device		pcic1	at isa? irq 0 port 0x3e2 iomem 0xd4000 disable

"Brian, the man from babble-on"              bts@babbleon.org
Brian T. Schellenberger                      http://www.babbleon.org
Support http://www.eff.org.                  Support decss defendents.
Support http://www.programming-freedom.org.  Boycott amazon.com.