Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:37:40 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        asami@FreeBSD.ORG, veldy@visi.com
Cc:        bde@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installworld over NFS doesn't seem to work

> * From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@visi.com>
>
> * That is what I originally tried, but it didn't work.  Eventually I got it by
> * doing the following:
> *
> * cd /usr/obj
> * mkdir mnt
> * cd mnt
> * ln -s /mnt/obj/usr/src src
> * cd /mnt/src
> * make -DNOAOUT installworld
>
>Really?  I would think that will have the same effect
>("/usr/obj/mnt/src" pointing to "/usr/obj/usr/src").
>
>Oh well.  By the way, does anyone know if there is some way all this
>can be normalized back so that a subdir foo/bar of /usr/src will be
>built in /usr/obj/foo/bar regardless of where /usr/src actually points
>to?  I know that the current behavior is good for allowing builds of
>multiple source trees but that seems like penalizing the more common
>case for the sake of a very minor case.

Probably not.  Where would a non-subdir /tmp/bar go?  We should eventually
support using an obj tree union-mounted over the source tree and build in
".", but its not clear that that should be the default -- there can be
only one obj tree at a time.

Symlinked source trees may have worked better before obrien removed $PWD
support.

Bruce