Date:      12 Oct 1999 02:03:26 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: backup method reccommendation?

Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

> dump and restore are fine if you really only ever want to restore to
> the same operating system.  They're not portable across different
> systems.

I consider that an open question. Limited empirical evidence shows
FreeBSD/Linux/Solaris dumps to be compatible.

> For this reason, I prefer tar.

The POSIX ustar format is rather limited. GNU tar uses extensions
of its own that are *not* portable. A file name >100 chars is
enough. Talk to Jörg Schilling if you want to learn just what a
mess the tar format is.

(If I wanted to use a tar-like program for backup purposes, I'd
use cpio or pax. The SVR4 cpio format doesn't have the device and
pathname limitations of the tar one, and it is reasonably portable,
being understood by SVR4 cpio, BSD pax, and GNU cpio.)

tar has difficulties handling sparse files (-S works pretty well
but makes the archive non-portable of course), no built-in buffering,
it touches the access time of all files, and the archive has no
central index.

> > tar as shipped with FreeBSD can't backup all devices in /dev.
> Correct.  The version in -CURRENT (and thus in a -RELEASE coming soon)
> can do this, however.

When has this been added? This is -CURRENT from a month ago:

naddy@bigeye[~] tar -cf /dev/null -C / dev
tar: dev/rsa0.ctl: minor number too large; not dumped

It's my understanding that the minor number field in the GNU tar
format is simply insufficiently sized to accommodate all possible
FreeBSD device numbers.

> > Customarily tapes are rewound at the end of the backup.
>
> That depends on what you ask for.

I meant: customarily, the operator rewinds the tape at the end of the
backup.

> It's possible to remove a QIC tape without rewinding it, but DDS,
> Exabyte and DLT all have to be rewound before you can remove them.

I strongly suspect my QIC drive to rewind tapes when they are
*inserted*, although I haven't exactly researched the issue yet.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de