Date:      Sun, 6 Aug 1995 00:57:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Net install

I have a tiny 2 machine isolated network, and I can't get install to work,
either with ftp or nfs.  I know this has to be my problem somehow, but I
can't figure out how.  The data on the problem is below:

Existing machine (with 0726 on it): n3lxx.cbr
				    192.168.64.2
				    dist at /usr/chuckr/snap-0726
New machine (install target):	    journey2.cbr
				    192.168.64.1

n3lxx has export file exporting / and /usr.  This is no security problem,
because I have no outside connections whatsoever.  I do have -alldirs
on both export lines.  The nslookup on n3lxx correctly tells me the
address of journey2.  Named is running, and the system is running
snap-0622, GENERIC kernel.

Problem is, journey2 keeps on telling me it can't do a lookup either on
n3lxx, or on 192.168.64.1, when I try ftp.  When I try nfs, it tells me
that there's no such directory.  I can use ftp or ncftp on n3lxx, as
anonymous (yes, I have an ftp user with homedir = /) and can get directly
to the directory.  Don't know how to further test on the nfs stuff.

Nothing (most likely) wrong hardware-wise, because ftp and nfs mounting
worked fine before I wiped out the 2.0R system on Journey2.  Nothing
changed in hardware (both SMC Ultras) since then.  No panics, either.

Can anyone take any guesses at what I might investigate?  I'll RTFM, if I
can only get some idea which way to go with it.

Thanks.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0R) and n3lxx
(301) 220-2114              | (FreeBSD 2.0.5-snap) and am I happy!