Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 10:11:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Kirchner <davidk@accretivetg.com>
To:        Kristen Doyle <colk@tampabay.rr.com>
Cc:        Mike <wacky@blinx.net>, Moo Moo Moo <Freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question

I'm not aware of any exploits for the shutdown command. If shutdown was
used, you'll see it in the 'last' output and in /var/log/messages.

On all of my FreeBSD systems, shutdown is setuid-root and is also owned by
the operator group, so anyone in operator can reboot the box through
shutdown.

Without more information, I would guess that your server was rebooted
through a different exploit, or perhaps it rebooted because it panic'd and
you have DDB and DDB_UNATTENDED(IIRC) configured in the kernel.