Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:39:57 +1030
From:      Mike Gratton <mike@vee.net>
To:        Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Plugin status

Joe Kelsey wrote:

> It is not used for the JDK!  It is used for the plugin to mozilla!  All
> plugins have to use nspr to communicate with the browser!

Right, but the JDK comes with the JRE which comes with the plugin. I
guess I could have been more specific.

> The problem with leaving the RUN_DEPENDS on mozilla is that people who
> are interested in Java may not necessarily have mozilla installed.
> -lnspr4 is only used to create the OJI version of the plugin, which
> depends on Netscape 6.x or Mozilla whatever.

Ahh, gotcha. I was assimung that the OJI was some sort of standard
interface (albeit one developed by Mozilla) that Sun was using for
interfacing to the Java plugin for all browsers, not just Mozilla.

Still, if you don't have Moz installed then you probably aren't
interested in building the OJI version of the plugin, so you wouldn't
need NSPR included anyway.

> In order to
> separate us from the hugeness that is mozilla, we can either depend on
> mozilla-embedded to get a slightly smaller dependency or else simply
> include libnspr4.so in the port directly.

Or just not build the plugin if Moz isn't already installed.

<shugs>

Personally, I don't think either way is a problem.

Mike.

--
Mike Gratton <mike@vee.net>
"Every motive escalate."