Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2017 14:32:17 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install-time "hardening" options

In message <21945e9b-6573-5f8d-9b6d-26bbb8bfd748@sentex.net>,
Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net> wrote:

>> (*)  Disable opening Syslogd network socket (disables remote logging)
>
>Is not the default -s and this options makes it -ss. "disable remote
>logging" as in the host you are configuring cannot send out messages to
>other syslogd servers.

Was that a question or a statement?

If you are assering that indeed, yes, star'ing this specific "hardening"
option just causes the local machine to -not- send -outbound- syslog
messages, then certainly, that is indeed a horse of a different color
from what I was talking about, which was -accepting- -inbound- syslog
messages/packets.

At the very least, the wording on this option should be clarified to
make it apparent if the thing being disabled in this case is inbound
syslog messages or outbound ones.