Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:01:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Evgeny Roubinchtein <eroubinc@u.washington.edu>
To:        Random Liegh <random@random.static.greatland.net>
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vi & word documents

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Random Liegh wrote:

>consistently read word files; so I've saved ML Duke's letter for future
>reference. I use pico, and religiously avoid vi 'cos it's so arcane; but
>on the other hand, reading any tips at all about it makes it less so, so

I keep hearing "vi is sooo arcane", and the only "arcane" bit is the fact
that it has _two_modes_. In one mode it will put every single keystroke
you type into the buffer, in another mode it most keystrokes you type are
commands.  Just like having an over-eager assistant, who would write
"stop" literally when you mean "stop writing".  The way to tell vi: "I
want to give some commands" is to hit the ESC key.  The command structure
totally makes sense: e.g you type "w" to move forward a word "cw" to
change a word and "dw" to delete a word, and so on -- see how things fit
together?  And then you can run search-and-replace commands and filter
text through external programs and, with nvi, even run Perl commands on
lines...

I think learning vi is well worth it, and I don't think it's as dawnting
as people tend to think.

Just my $0.2
--
Evgeny Roubinchtein, eroubinc@u.washington.edu