Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 97 11:26:47 MET DST
From:      Flemming Jacobsen <fj@login.dknet.dk>
To:        nash@Mcs.Net (Alex Nash)
Cc:        rhh@ct.picker.com, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv 0.45

Hi,

The problems described herein is very similar to the ones I
have, thus I thought I'd share my experiences.

> No luck :(  I've tried all combinations.  Regardless of the
> antenna/cable setting, I get:
>
>   - Blank video (all black) and static for audio when the input is set to
>     tuner.

Same here (when tuner is set to Temic).

>   - Blank video (all black) and no audio when the input is set to
>     video or S-VHS.

My video-in works fine (My old Philips TVtuner from my Amiga days
is curently feeding it). I haven't tried S-VHS, as I've got
nowhere to get the signal from.

> I'm stumped.  The kernel appears to identify the card without a problem:
>
>   bktr0 <BrookTree 848> rev 17 int a irq 9 on pci0:12
>   Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Temic PAL tuner, dbx stereo.

Are you sure that the tuner is a Temic? My Hauppauge card (PAL,
Text, Radio - probably a model 418) has a Philips tuner.
You have to take off the Hauppauge sticker to check - be
carefull that you don't remove the text on the stickers below.
(I'm at work now, but I remenber setting an option in the kernel
config. file to force the driver to assume a Philips tuner).

The problem is probably that the sticker on the (i.e. my) tuner
module says FM1216. I think the ones the driver is based on are the
F[IR]1216 tuners.

Does anyone have the datasheet for the FM1216. I have tried calling
the Danish Philips branch and I've tried asking at www.philips.com.
Both times I've been directed to a Danish distributor (Rosenmeier
Data A/S), who hasn't got a clue.
I've also tried contacting techsupport@hauppauge.com - NO answer.
If anyone can help me get a copy of the datasheet, I'd be happy
to update the driver.

Currently my advise to the public is: Stay away from the
Hauppauge cards with radio.

	Have a nice day
	Flemming

--
Flemming Jacobsen            It'll probably say something like "Does not
                             compute" or "Inoperative parameters". That's