Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 1997 15:11:10 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.win.tue.nl>
To:        arg@arg1.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gordon)
Cc:        rhh@ct.picker.com, smp@csn.net, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: European Channel Tuning (was Re: fxtv patches)

> The key point is that we have overlapping coverage areas, and so channel
> numbers and channel names are independent, with a mapping of one onto the
> other.  Channel numbers map directly to frequency and are already done
> perfectly correctly by fxtv and the driver. Unfortunately, over here
> channel numbers are only used by frequency planners and technicians and
> the average user wouldn't have a clue what channel number he is watching.

Not exactly. I live in an area where the cable is filled with channels
*by frequency*.

If you take a look at the Wincast TV users guide you will see that for
every channel youcan finetune the frequency. That is something I would
need. For the moment I am using an  self written program to tune because
fxtv does not understand channel 21.4 ;-).

-Guido