Date:      Sun, 6 Sep 1998 17:13:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Barbisan <barbisan@interlog.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Email for Dialup Account

I am working on FreeBSD 2.2.7, purchased from Walnut Creek. I am very new
to FreeBSD and would like to setup my personal email. I have setup my ppp
connection properly (thank you very much!) (BTW, the ppp is the user
program, not the kernel PPP) and plan on using Pine 4.02a (which I have
installed using the ports collection). I have used Pine with my shell
account on my ISP and like it very much.

This computer is a personal computer, which is *not* connected to a LAN.
>From the reading I have done on the FreeBSD site, I am pretty sure I have
to use sendmail and fetchmail (my internet connection is a dynamic PPP
dialup). Are there any tutorials available on the web concerning how to
setup sendmail and fetchmail (if these are indeed the programs I need to
use) for dialup, dynamic PPP connections? Most of the information
regarding sendmail setup I have seen is for local networks.

I know I can use Pine while connected to the Internet, but I want to be
able to download all my email at once, disconnect, read it/reply to it
offline, and then just connect to the 'net again to send the replies.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Barbisan.