Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 16:36:28 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, doka@triton.kiev.sovam.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: benchmark program

On Wed, Mar 31, 1999, Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net> wrote:

>Have a look in /usr/ports/benchmarks
>
>bonnie and iostat are a couple of quick ones... But as with all benchmark
>programs, know and understand the big * next to them.

    I'm curious.  I looked at bonnie, and it creates a huge file (with
(2**31)-1 problems), which it then reads and re-writes with multiple
child processes (unless I misunderstand the man page).

    However, this exercises the buffer cache but does not exercise the
creation of lots of small files, directories and subdirectories, etc...
(e.g., the kind of traffic that one might see with a heavily loaded news
server), and this misses much of the potential performance enhancements
of "soft updates", etc....

    I'm wondering if anyone has heard of any benchmark programs that are
more oriented towards some sort of simulation of a heavily loaded news
server, or the kind of load you might see with a heavily loaded anonymous
ftp server (both during the mirror updates and during heavy reader load)?
 Are any of these benchmarks portable to other platforms?

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News/mail/FTP Admin   Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
 Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
  Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who it's friends are.