Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2000 01:02:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        damien@tougas.net (Damien Tougas)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GUIs are flawed

> One of the beauties of Unix, and one the many reasons that it is so
> powerful is the power and flexibility that one has in a command
> line shell. This is somthing that Microsoft and Apple and KDE and
> GNOME will never equal in a GUI interface. It seems that in order to
> get any sort of power with a GUI, it gets incredibly bloated.
>
> Take a look at Windows 2000 and how many millions of lines of code that
> they have created just to compete with Unix. I think that KDE and GNOME
> are great in some respects, but at the same time, I think that they
> are just going to wind up as bloated and buggy as windows if they keep
> increasing the complexity of their software. The larger that these
> projects become, the more difficult the will be to maintain.

FWIW, they are capturing a larger market segment as a result of
this philosophy, regardless of whether they are technically
right or wrong, in the limit.

I also believe that GUIs can be rationally utilized to encapsulate
UNIX command line functionality; it's not the fault of the GUI
paradigm that most GUI implementations fail the rationality test,
it is the fault of their programmers, and of those who rail on
about the impossibility of rationality in the first place.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.