Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 03:09:44 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, peter@freebsd.org, bde@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel/loader & world

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> > We include the files directly from the source tree, but some of them
> > then go and include files from <machine/*>, which, of course, refers
> > to /usr/include/machine/*. Thus, some of the files are up-to-date,
> > and some are not. Unless you build world first.
>
> It's dangerous to mix headers from the source tree with headers from
> /usr/include. Are you sure this is the case?

Further investigation (after an idea hit me just as I laid down to
sleep) reveals:

* a machine/ symlink is created in a beforedepend step
* no world -> no beforedepend -> no machine/ symlink -> problem

It happens in the specific case of build loader stand-alone from a
fresh source (no /usr/obj tree). One needs to do that if they want
to jump from 3.1-RELEASE to -current. Mike says we do not support
that (anything but latest -stable to -current). I think that just
happens to be a particular instance of the problem, and we'd better
deal with it.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"I always feel generous when I'm in the inner circle of a
conspiracy to subvert the world order and, with a small group of
allies, just defeated an alien invasion. Maybe I should value myself
a little more?"