Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 15:23:38 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        <scanner@jurai.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OSSH and NetBSD's "OSSH" ?

At 2:44 PM -0400 10/4/00, <scanner@jurai.net> wrote:
>	Since were trying to keep in sync with OpenSSH as the goal,
>has anyone given thought if we will maintain compatability with
>NetBSD's "OpenSSH" replacement?
>
>I think their decision to do their own implementation is just daft.
>But I am curious as to how this will affect things. I am guessing
>we will just sync with OSSH and if NetBSD's version happens to be
>compat fine if not too bad so sad. This whole thing really annoys
>me. But I am curious about others thoughts.

I don't follow NetBSD, so I don't know what their replacement is
or why they did it.  My gut reaction is that I'd rather see freebsd
stick with openssh.com's implementation, just because that is what
I'll be using on many other unix platforms here at RPI.

If NetBSD has a different implementation, and if that includes some
"neat feature" that we would like, I would still prefer to see us
work on getting THAT FEATURE into openssh.com's implementation,
if possible.  I would hope that whatever they have, it should be
already be "compatible" with both openssh and the original ssh
implementations, except for new features that they have added.

Since I have no idea what this openssh-replacement is, or what
benefits it might offer, there isn't much more I can say about it.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute