Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 1998 21:13:05 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        David Kulp <dkulp@neomorphic.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice on cardbus/pcmcia needed

> > According to Nate Williams on this list:
> >
> > (11/17) PAO includes PCI/CardBus support, but FBSD does not.
>
> FreeBSD has PCI support, but no support for CardBus devices.

Except for CardBus devices running in PCMCIA emulation mode.

> > (12/2)  Ted Faber added support for the CL PD6832 (a PCMCIA card)
> >         on CardBus machines, and the architectural support for other
> >         PCMCIA cards although no others have been added or tested.
> >         This new driver support is in FBSD -current.
>
> This is not correct; the PD6832 is a CardBus *controller*, which can
> also work in PCCARD mode.

All CardBus controllers can work in PCCARD mode.  The PAO code does
*something* similar to what Ted's code does, but in a bit different
manner.  I prefer Ted's layout since it's a better separation of
functionality than in the PAO code.

> > (12/5)  PAO includes boot probes for additional devices, and
> > (12/29) has better docs, more drivers, and easier setup.
>
> PAO has driver support for extra devices.  Whether the docs are better
> and/or the setup is easier is debatable.

The boot floppy makes setup easier, and there *is* some documentation
that doesn't exist in FreeBSD.  Note that some of the PAO manual pages
are in-accurate, especially in the pccardc/pccardd area.  Those fixes
have been ignored by the PAO folks for whatever reasons...

> > CL PD6832 (same as added by Ted Faber), TI PCI-1130, and TI PCI-1131
> > chipsets are currently supported.  (I can't find any of these devices
> > mentioned in the list of supported hardware for either PAO or FBSD, so
> > I don't know what type of cards these are.)
>
> They're not; they're interface chipsets found in laptops.

On certain laptops, you can set the BIOS to have the CardBus controller
'emulate' a PCMCIA controller w/out requiring any OS support.  I know of
a couple of folks running their CardBus machines under FreeBSD w/out PAO
or explicity CardBus emulation code.

> > OK, given this information, is it possible for my Toshiba to currently run
> > (reliably) any Ethernet cards, and if so, what card is recommended, what's
> > the best way to migrate to the necessary OS version, and do I need PAO?
>
>  - FreeBSD-current can't help you unless you can convince your chipset
>    to run in a PCCARD-compatible mode.  TSETUP may give you this option.

TSETUP?

>  - If you try the PAO code and it recognises your hardware and will
>    support ordinary PCCARD cards on it, I'm more than happy with most
>    of the NE2000 clone PCCARDs around.

Chances are that *IF* someone can get PAO to work, then with a little
bit of work the code can be ported to the new FreeBSD layer that Ted
wrote, thus making it work under FreeBSD as well.

Nate