Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:34:54 +0800 (WST)
From:      Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   No runlevels

Hello All,

Yesterday, I had reason to take my system down into single-user mode. I
suddenly realised that there was no 'telinit' program to change runlevels
-- indeed, unlike Linux, *BSD doesn't support runlevels. Is there is a
good reason for not supporting runlevels?

In general, I prefer the BSD approach into system initialization (the rc
scripts) than the SysV approach (a jungle of scripts). But on occasion I
can see the need for *different* initializations. The SysV runlevels makes
this easy, whereas for *BSD, I can only think of adding a 'runlevel=BLAH'
variable into /etc/rc.conf, and having explicit testing of this variable
thru' the rc scripts (which I think is horrible :-).

I'm interested in knowing the different opinions people have on this.

Regards,

Mike.

P.S. In the end, I rebooted into single user mode. I'd rather not have
rebooted as it ruined by uptime :-) I've since read in the manpages that
sending TERM (kill -TERM 1) to init takes the system into single user mode.