Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 18:44:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Philip Rust <prust@post.cis.smu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Please-someone help me

Hi guys,
	I am having a big problem that I have been working on for 2
weeks.  I am sure there is an easy solution, I am just not as Unix smart
as some of you.  I have an AlphaStation 200 that I am trying to install
FreeBSD on with the alpha release on the 3.1 cdrom (i'm installing from
cdrom).  I boot with the kern.flp and mfsboot.flp(?) and everything goes
okay so far. The installation menu comes up and I choose the beginners
installation and proceed.  Basically, in the whole installation process,
I am never given an opportunity to choose how I want to boot from my hard
drive.  Towards the end of the installation I get a message that says
something like: kernel copied okay, but unable to save boot -c changes.
(or something to that effect).  So, at this point the installation
appears to be done, but for some reason I am taken back to the
installation menu.  I then reboot and enter 'boot dka0' to boot from the
hard drive.  Now, I had OpenBSD on this machine before FreeBSD, and when
I now try to boot from my hard drive, it still tries to boot OpenBSD (but
errors out).  Apparently, during the FreeBSD installation nothing was
changed on the master boot record (i am guessing).  So anyways, I then
boot with the fixit disk and take a look at the hard drive, and
everything for FreeBSD appears to be there - as if it installed correctly.
SOOO... my problem is: Why can't I boot into FreeBSD? What can I do to
fix this?
I'm sorry this email is so long, but this has been frustrating and I
wanted to give you guys as much information as possible.  Thanks a bunch,
and I really hope you guys can help me.
PS. The whole installation process for me from cdrom didn't really fall in
line with what the instructions say it should be.  THANKS GUYS
I will be crossing my fingers :)

       Philip Rust  |  rust@seas.smu.edu   \/_/