Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 1997 07:22:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        mabrenio@phix.com (mark abrenio)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

In a previous message, mark abrenio said:
> i need some help.my isp is set up really wierd.you know how on most you dial them up and it gives you a login and password prompt.well mine doesnt.as soon asyou connect it gives me all kindsof bull like
>
> }}%#^*%$%}{?><}{
>

> you know,,stuff like that.it connects ok in windows,,you know that dial up networking thing.i can connect with that.but in freebsd i cant.because when i dial them up on minicom it gives me all that stuff.and there is no way for me to type in my password
>
> and login name.i would really appreciate any help.surely there issomeone ou there who has had this problem!
>
> mark..

It's very difficult to read mail like this. Please, use capitalization where
appropriate, and put in line breaks at about 75 characters.

Sounds pretty normal to me. Instead of a login prompt, your ISP is using
PAP or CHAP and is directly starting PPP. Enable PAP or CHAP in you ppp.conf
and see what happens.

Paul.

--
"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing,
even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about