Date:      Sat, 18 Jul 1998 13:37:50 -0400
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions about packages

On Sat, Jul 18, 1998 at 05:15:21AM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:

> Packages will check dependencies, but won't automatically go out, fetch,
> and install them.  They'll just report missing pieces to the screen as a

Yes, they will go out and automatically fetch and install them.  :)
see pkg_add(1).  I can't remember offhand all the places it checks
for them.  I think all it does is cut-off the current pkgname, and
then append the desired one.

Eg.

pkg_add ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/packages-stable/All/docbook.tgz

Will automatically install all the required ports (except, there is no
"docbook.tgz" package, of course :).

See pkg_install/add/perform.c for full docs.  :)

> > Please don't send me to the sources! I'm just a newbie with attitude.

Oops.  :)  Try doing some testing, and see what it does.  If you wait
and bug me about, I can go check the sources for you later, but not
right now.  I "documented" pkg_add's auto-fetch feature, and I
probably should have documented what it would try and auto-fetch at
the same time...  ;-)

And those are ugly sources, too...  <sigh>  Perl has the only sources
I've ever liked...

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.