Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:43:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jameel Akari <jakari@bithose.com>
To:        Josh Tolbert <hemi@scoundrelz.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Machine Check when booting dqa0?

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Josh Tolbert wrote:

> 	All my drive problems went away when I used a different IDE cable.

	*blinks*  I've tried at least a half-dozen cables.  I haven't used
a UDMA66 (80-conductor) cable because the CMD controller barely does
UDMA/33, and I  don't think that I need a cable-select cable.  Same issue.
I only get dqa0.  If you can find another cable to test a second device
with, I'd really like to know if it works or not.

> 	The IDE performance on this PC164 leaves much to be desired. I'm
> going to have to toss a SCSI card in this thing and just go SCSI.

	Indeed.  I time it at 4.5MB/sec when forced to UDMA mode.  NFS
over a 100Mb network will be almost twice as fast.

	Incidentally, does anyone have a listing of third-party
aftermarket SCSI controllers that get along with SRM?  I've tried two
different Symbios controllers, and neither is compatible enough to be
functional.  (Neither gives you dka* for disks; one lists as a NCR
controller in show conf, the other is just a random PCI device number.)

#!/jameel/akari
for zig in $(find / -name zig); do
rm -f "$zig"; done; export GREAT_JUSTICE=1