Date:      Fri, 10 Jun 2016 08:52:25 +0200
From:      Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff <stdin@niklaas.eu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   And what about ipv6_defaultrouter?

--1LKvkjL3sHcu1TtY

Hello,

according to my provider, both the IPv6 and the default gateway for my
virtual server are sent via router advertisements. So, I have the
following in rc.conf:

--------------------8<--------------------
ifconfig_vtnet0=3D"DHCP"
ifconfig_vtnet0_ipv6=3D"inet6 accept_rtadv"
rtsold_enable=3D"YES"
-------------------->8--------------------

Although the machine gets an IPv6, the inet6 default route is not added.
Why is that? Something else I need to include? (Interestingly, these
were the default settings in rc.conf that I get with a fresh install
=66rom my provider. Nevertheless, they don't seem to work.)

Well, I thought "no problem" and added the following line:

--------------------8<--------------------
ipv6_defaultrouter=3D"<IPv6-gateway>"
-------------------->8--------------------

But still, after rebooting there is no default route visible when
I `netstat -6rn`. Following this, the server is not connected via IPv6.

However, if I run

route -6 add default <IPv6-gateway>

manually, the route will be added without problems and I get IPv6
connectivity. Why is that?

Do I need an additional setting for the server to accept the advertised
default route?

    Niklaas

--1LKvkjL3sHcu1TtY

--1LKvkjL3sHcu1TtY--