Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:36:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matt Simerson <mpsimerson@hostpro.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: The "right" way to build a new world WAS: 4.3-BETA world cra

On 23-Mar-01 Matt Simerson wrote:
> OK, let's approach this from a little different angle:
>
> Below is the appropriate entries from /usr/src/UPDATING on a FreeBSD
> 4-stable machine. As of 2/2/2001, the most correct and safest method for
> updating your FreeBSD machine is as follows:
>
>    cd /usr/src
>    make buildworld
>    make kernel KERNCONF=<CUSTOM_KERN_CONFIG_NAME>
>    reboot (single user)
>    make installworld
>    mergemaster
>    reboot
>
> I have found that there IS a variety of reasons NOT to do it that way. The
> most obvious is that you might not have console access, thus making it
> pretty hard to access the machine while it's in single user mode. I can also
> think of a couple instances where this method could cause pain.

All of the ones you list below are not a problem if one has a serial console
(single user implies console access). :)  It _is_ the safest and most correct
way, but it's not always convenient and/or feasible.  And while you can deviate
from it, you should only do so once you are comfortable with the process and
know how to get yourself out of a jam if it blows up in your face.  New users
don't have all this background yet, so following the directions above is the
best thing for them to do.  Make sense?