Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:47:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Loren James Rittle <rittle@latour.rsch.comm.mot.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        mb@imp.ch
Subject:   Re: C++ Exception handling with shared libs in current is broken again

> Thank you even I have found that out myself too :) Using
> ld directly is a no-go for a gcc3.2 platform. Linking with
> the crt files fixes the problem.

OK, cool.  BTW, in case you care, the exact reason why you now need
the startup file wrappers in the shared image with gcc3 style EH but
not with gcc2 style EH: There are special ELF constructors/destructors
hook symbols which are registered/found on a per-shared image basis by
the Dwarf EH walking code...  If those aren't present, then it doesn't
work (the gcc mainline reports an error message before coring with
your example code).  Although it seems odd, all that support comes in
the "startup code".

Did using ld directly ever work on CURRENT after the first upgrade to
gcc 3?  I suppose it might have worked the gcc 2.95 way in gcc 3.1
since we were slow to adopt support for some of the newer ELF features
in the FSF copy of gcc. -Loren