Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 16:51:25 -0700
From:      dan@wolf.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help understanding output from systat

> > I started examing systat to try and dtermine why
> > my overall throughput is so low - I'm currently
> > maxing out at around 2 Mbits on a 10 Mbit circuit.
>
> Ethernet?

Yep.  An NE-2000 clone ISA card (it's all I had on hand when
my Intel EtherExpress 10/100 died).

> > Running "systat -v" shows my CPU usage to be sitting
> > right around 13% Sys, 32% Intr, 9% User.  That Intr
> > percentage seems might god-awful high.  Am I correct
> > in assuming that something is badly amiss here?
>
> Your interrupt load is kinda high.  How many interrupts/sec are you
> getting on your Ethernet card at full output?

The Ethernet card is generating 400-500 interrupts/sec, and
the IDE drive is generating 500-600 per second most of the
time, occasionaly peaking at 900.

> If your Ether card is ISA, that says it all right there.

I was afraid of that.  Guess it's time to travel to the coloc
site again and replace the E-net card.

Thanks for the insights.

Dan
dan@wolf.com