Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 1996 12:48:41 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Adam Prato <adamp@ovid.com>
Cc:        jkh@cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org, nirva@zynet.com
Subject:   Re: BT946C problems. Can you help?

>On Sun, 18 Feb 1996, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>
>> Disable extended translation on the new Buslogic card.  These errors are
>> always related to geometry differences, so if disabling the extended
>> translation (support for DOS drives > 1 gig option) doesn't work, you
>> may have to play some other games to get the geometry right so you ca
>> boot off of it.
>
>I have a thread of messages from JKH about this as well. This really sounds
>like a strong possibility. However, if this is the case, why do I have the
>*same* error with another drive (let me elaborate). I have an HP 97549 (T100)
>that I had *no* idea whether or not was dead or not. At first I just plugged i
>in to see what the boot disk would say. It gave the *same* error.

The translation problem won't affect the parity error your seeing, but
will determine whether or not you can boot from your hard drive instead
of the boot floppy.

>> It could be that the Buslogic is attempting to share an interrupt with
>> another PCI card... assuming you have another PCI card in the system.
>> Until 2.1-stable and 2.2-current, shared PCI interrupts were not supported
>> for the bt driver.  It may also be a dma channel conflict.  I would
>> suggest trying the driver in 2.1-stable if you can create boot media
>> from it or can get a system up enough on your 1542B so you can genereate
>> new kernels.  With the 2.1-stable driver, you can disable all of the
>> ISA compatibility features of the 946, and have the PCI BIOS do all
>> of the setup for you (ie ISA dma channel/port address, etc).
>
>All I have in the machine at this point is video and scsi card. The floppy is
>built into the motherboard. The motherboard also has lpt1,com1,com2 build in a
>well. I'll check this out. I tried changing PCI slots, different/NO dma on the
>bt946, I turned on/off >1GB support (my two hd's are 1.05 and 1.18GB
>drives).

And you ensured that the kernel config for the bt driver matched these
settings every time?  In 2.1R, the bt driver used an ISA probe to
find the BT cards, so it cannot change its irq or dma channel on the fly
like new pci probe can even if the driver does properly report what the
card is set too.

>Another reason why I feel it is some weird kernel/driver problem is because th
>linux boot/root disks work fine (is this a sign?). Also, with the second HP, I
>have the same error, and I recently lowleveled it, so now its totally blank.
>How would I be able to reinstall freebsd if I wanted to? I have a blank HD and
>don't have any geometry issues to really worry about, yet the boot.flp floppy
>will not let me boot passed the bt0 driver.

I'm sure that it is mismatched configuration settings.  Boot with -c and
set them up correctly to match your hardware and I bet the card will work.
Its most likely the irq since the driver polls during the initial probe
and doesn't require the irq to be set correctly to work during that
phase of the boot process.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations