Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 2012 19:14:38 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        Devin, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>, Lawrence Stewart <lstewart@freebsd.org>, freebsd-sysinstall@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysinstall as a post-install tool

On Jan 3, 2012, at 6:57 PM, Eitan Adler wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM, Ron McDowell <rcm@fuzzwad.org> wrote:
>> I [Ron] just added myself to the sysinstall list.
>=20
> Good
>>=20
>> What I envision is a text based system administration suite that will
>> [hopefully] do everything that the "Configure" option on the top level of
>> the sysinstall menu does.  I see it as being part of the base OS, such t=
hat
>> once one has rebooted from HD after the install and logged in as root [or
>> user+su], a menu can be brought up by entering "sysadmin" or such.  Does
>> "sysadmin" work for a name?  I kinda like it.
>=20
> Do you plan on this tool being run "late in the game" after the system
> has been used for a while or this is a "welcome new user" only tool?
>=20
>> I plan on basically going through the sysinstall post-configuration menu:
>=20
> [snip configure menu]
>=20
> Do you plan on making this a C based program or a shell script?

If he plans on making it sh(1) based, then I wonder if he would be interest=
ed in starting with host-setup as a very solid and robust substrate.

I was just about to start building the port Makefile and getting host-setup=
 to fill this exact need.

We @vicor have been working on this exact thing for years now.

I feel that it would be a *very* simple task to add the remaining [missing]=
 menu items considering how hard it was to simply get this far.

host-setup ... (we can change the name; I'll have to sleep on "sysadmin" --=
 leaning more toward perhaps "sysconfig" ... it's the logical name consider=
ing we're taking the "Config[uration]" menu from "sys[install]", so the nam=
e ought to perhaps be "sysconfig") ... is a multi-thousand-line shell scrip=
t that uses a very full-proof approach to solving the problem. It's unbreak=
able in its current form and has undergone hundreds of hours of testing (it=
's current version is 4.0.1).

Oh, and it's BSD Licensed.

Oh, and it's FreeBSD specific (originally works on both Linux and FreeBSD, =
but we've stripped the Linux stuff to make it FreeBSD-clean).

>=20
>> and as close as reasonable, stick to the same task flow.  I plan on writ=
ing
>> it against 10-current and look at back-porting to 9 after it's somewhat
>> stable.
>=20

If you use host-setup as a substrate, it works on FreeBSD-4.x up to 10-CURR=
ENT (tested 4.8, 4.11, 8.1, 9-CURRENT and 10-CURRENT).

> I'd like to work with you on this, especially w.r.t to ensuring that
> it meets the requirements for entering the base system.
>=20

I too would like to work with you on this, regardless of language used or w=
hether you use host-setup as a substrate or not.

We also maintain a custom version of sysinstall in-house. So we're intimate=
ly involved with all of the code.

>> One new, important, and not-so-difficult task will be: on exiting, check=
 the
>> sanity of /etc/rc.conf and complain if needed, but allow the user to
>> override the safety-switch if foot-shooting is really requested.  :)  I'=
m a
>> firm believer of not disallowing anything.

> Good on both counts.

host-setup actually leverages the power and safety of my sysrc(8) utility (=
just added to ports tree as sysutils/sysrc).

In fact, sysrc was written as a test-script solely to feed back into host-s=
etup so that we could replace sysinstall's Configure menu. We're just not t=
here with all the menu items (but we've got the most important ones -- IMHO=
 -- and made them rock-stable).
--=20
Devin

Links:
http://druidbsd.sourceforge.net/
http://druidbsd.sourceforge.net/download/host-setup.txt
http://druidbsd.sourceforge.net/download/sysrc.txt

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.