Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:14:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   gcc -O -mcpu=i686 -howtooverride=486?

Today I have been immersing myself in the many splendors of "./configure"
and "make" (which seems to create a Makefile that the user may edit before
running...) "make install" and (sort of) gone are the old days of pkg_add
-r!  This activity all came about as a result of my (so far trying to)
upgrading w3m to the latest install, and along the way wishing to implement
openssl and imlib.

My question is the following-- It seems like my /etc/make.conf file (which
I think I either mv'ed or cp'ed from /usr/local/etc/make.conf) is getting
ignored as far as the "CPUTYPE=i686" flag goes.  How do I remedy this?

I have been editing the various "Makefile" files, overriding the usual "-O
-m486" with "-O -mcpu=i686" (what is -march by the way?) but my extended
question is the following-- Does the -mcpu flag that mean [paraphrase-ically]
"use i686 instructions for the compile process" or does it mean "compile
some binaries with i686 smartness built into them?"  Know-whuht-eye-mean?

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder