Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 1996 08:54:52 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mountd "request from non-local host"

Peter Dufault stands accused of saying:

> I added something to /etc/exports,  killed mountd and restarted it
> by hand.  It declines to start:
>
> > hda# mountd
> > hda# Feb  8 08:15:43 hda portmap[199]:
> >   connect from 198.252.184.1 to unset(mountd): request from non-local host
> > Feb  8 08:15:43 hda portmap[200]:
> >   connect from 198.252.184.1 to set(mountd): request from non-local host
> > Feb  8 08:15:43 hda mountd[198]: Can't register mount
>
> I undoubtably have my network set up wrong.
>
> 198.252.184.1 is the address of the mail server "hda.hda.com" on the local
> ethernet.
>
> 199.232.40.182 is the address of the mail server SLIP link from our provider,
> and is what you get when you nslookup hda.com from the outside world.
>
> The mail server hostname is set to hda.com.  It seems mountd expects
> hda.hda.com to be doing the mount requests and not hda.com.

No, that's the portmapper that's spewing; it's seeing mountd trying to
register a port (via RPC), but it's seeing mountd coming from the wrong
IP.  Kill the portmapper and restart it with -v  (Don't do this unless
you're willing to restart anything that uses RPC!)

> Is anyone willing to sanity check my named setup?  I hesitate to
> send it to the entire list.  While we're at it I'd be thrilled if
> mail to hda.hda.com (or foo.hda.com) would get sent to hda.com.

Hmm, I'm no DNS guru, but I can help you with that - you want MX entries
for all of your hosts that point to hda.com, and then add all the
names of these hosts to the 'Cw' line in your /etc/sendmail.cf file.
(Or put Fw<filename> and put the hosts in <filename>)

> Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation

]] "wherever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai                   [[