Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 15:15:44 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object versioning

On Wednesday, 20th May 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

>Use the real symbol names.  I don't know why what you are doing won't
>work, but it's *not* what I'm doing, wo it really doesn't matter
>why it doesn't work because it's the wrong thing to do anyway.

All I did was add a variable (fake_used) that is incremented every time
the __error stand-in (called ___error) is called.  In other words, I
instrumented your solution, nothing more.  The instrumentation shows
that ___error is called when we expect it not to be called.  This is
why I claim that this fix doesn't work.

To show it really working (if it does work) would require multiple
threads that have different errno values.  Showing one thread having
a single errno value is not sufficient.

Stephen.