Date:      Thu, 29 May 1997 08:25:15 -0700
From:      Robert Clark <ROBERTC@PII.COM>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, web@merit.edu
Subject:   boot easy query (FreeBSD) -Reply

Yes,
	Please try OSBS. The beta 8 version is really nice.

	(Its a friendly, DOS based utility, much like booteasy.)

	Fbsdboot is also really nice, it is a DOS program that loads the kernel from c:. This allow a PC to autoswitch
between DOS & FreeBSD.

	If you must run some batch able DOS programs for example:

	on the freebsd side (a cron job perhaps)
	mount_msdos /dev/whatever /mnt
	touch /mnt/rundos.flg
	umount /mnt
	shutdown -r now

	on the DOS side (in autoexec.bat)
	if exist c:\rundos.flg goto skip
	c:\fbsdboot -D c:\fbsd222.krn
	:skip
	del c:\rundos.flg
	rem dos goes on from here
	rem remember to run boot at the end of you batch files

															[RC]

>>> William Bulley <web@merit.edu> 05/29/97 06:09am >>>
Is there any utility/tool in all of the FreeBSD vastness to allow
the after-the-fact (post-installation) re-installation of the boot
manager (F1 == DOS, F2 == FreeeBSD) "Boot Easy" utility?

After I installed FreeBSD, I had to re-install Windows 95 and
(thanks to Bill Gates) it overwrote the FreeBSD installation
of the "Boot Easy" thingy.  So, I eventually ended up re-installing
FreeBSD -- ugly, so I was hoping there was an easier way.

BTW, I did check the FAQ and didn't see anything (plus I looked for
files with *boot* in the name in the man pages: sections one and eight,
but no joy...)   :-(

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley                     Email: web@merit.edu
Merit Network Inc.                 Ann Arbor, Michigan