Date:      Sun, 02 Apr 2000 11:05:23 -0400
From:      Otter <otter@otter.cc>
To:        Alejandro Ramirez <ales@megared.net.mx>
Cc:        Fredrik Carlen <fredrik.carlen@futurniture.se>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linproc and vmware

Alejandro Ramirez wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > When I try to compile vmware2.x  'make' exits with the error:
> > ' vmware2-2.0.476 is marked as broken: This software absolutely requires
> > Linux procfs support.'
> >
> > I got a suggestion this is some kind of Linux-compatible proc file
> > system.
> > Is this correct?
>
> Yes, but FreeBSD 4.X can emulate the linux proc filesystem.

Maybe so, but it still barfs on "Can't open /proc/cpuinfo" here.
Fredrik, have you got linux compatibility (no, not emulation) setup?
You'll need the linux_base port and have a line in your rc.conf like
linux_enable="YES". Also, try a cvsup to get your ports current. It's
not marked as broken anymore. I've noticed several changes to the port
in the last few days. I think they're still tweaking it to get it to
work right. I also get an error on startup about machine doesn't have a
valid hostname, followed by a "gethostbyname() failed". If great things
come to those who wait, I can't wait to stop dual booting and just run
all my work in NT in a window on my FreeBSD desktop!
-Otter