Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 13:28:30 EDT
From:      Bsdguru@aol.com
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   64bit Ethernet Card (if_sf driver)

I've been testing the adaptec 64044 card (if_sf driver) which is a 64bit
66Mhz 4 port ethernet. I can have come to one of two conclusions:

1) the card sucks
2) the driver sucks

or both. A 32bit Dlink 4 port card outperforms it by a wide margin, as do
32bit eepro100s. "wide margin" being defined as about 40%.

Given that bus resources are not easily measureable..Im quoting cpu usage for
handling the same number of pps. But its pretty difficult to justify using a
64bit slot and rather expensive card with such lousy performance. I cant even
justify the bus-bandwidth saving with a card that cant route more than
250Mb/s.

I guess my question has to do with whether the board is just a dog or the
driver needs substantial optimization. The folks at adaptec aren't dopes
generally, so I cant imagine that they chose a chipset that was so inferior
to the one on their 32bit adapter (which uses the same as the Dlink).

Anyone with experience or ideas?

Bryan